- Once you become famous, it is easy to remain famous.
- You have one life to live [..], and I suggest you to have a life of doing something significant.
- The most important thing probably about great people is that they believe they can do great work. They have confident in themselves.
- You must have to work on important problems.
- Study your successes.
- The one who works for the right problem at the right time in the right way counts nothing else.
- Find a regular time to think – What are the important problems in your area?
- Change doesn’t mean progress; but, progress requires change.
- The unexamined life is not worth living (by Greek philosopher Socrates)
- The style is everything.
This is an inspirational and thought-provoking lecture by Richard Hamming. I would strongly recommend it to anybody who is researching as a professional or as a student.
Some of the gems from the talk are as follows.